Interview With Pedram Keyani Director of Global Growth Engineering at Uber
Here are some insights into why you should work for a tech company. I’m a HUGE proponent of working for an early stage startup, having already done it three times in my career.
I even did a series a couple years ago to showcase the benefits of being an early stage startup employee, which you can watch here.
However, early stage isn’t the only stage.
It would be unfair of me to or anyone else to lead you astray based on what has worked for us.
You’ve got to find a stage that fits your needs. Here are some things you should consider in why you should work for a fast moving tech company.
To help you out, in today’s episode of FemgineerTV, I’ve invited a guest who has oodles of experience working at growth stage technology companies, Pedram Keyani.
Pedram is currently the Director of Global Growth Engineering at Uber. He’s grown the engineering team from around 20 to 250 engineers in the past couple of years. Prior to Uber, Pedram was the director at Facebook and began working there when it was a 200 person company, and was there during the IPO. Pedram began his career working at Google as a software engineer right around the time it was IPO’ing.
This was a really fun episode to do with Pedram because of his fun, goofy, and creative energy. No matter what stage company you decide to work at, in the episode you’ll learn the following from Pedram:
- What to do if you can’t convince other people to pursue your project idea
- How he dealt with the challenge of having to build a lot of infrastructure even though he didn’t know how to
- Why growth is a delicate balance of developing your employees and building product
- Why his preferred coaching style is the “dumb manager”
- How to handle the communication overhead as your team and company grow
- Why his goal is to hire as slowly as possible
- Why he prefers to cultivate talent that’s been around longer, rather than always hiring experienced people from the outside
- How he manages his time between work, staying healthy and his growing family and encourages his employee to as well
- Some insights into why work for a tech company
Once you’ve had a chance to watch the episode, tell me one takeaway you learned from Pedram, and that you’re going to try in the next week.
Let me know in the comments below!
Listen to the episode on iTunes
You can listen to this episode of FemgineerTV on iTunes. Please take a moment to leave us a review. Your positive review will help us get featured in News & Noteworthy and bring more exposure to the work we’re doing, as well as the talented guests we feature!