I’ve been putting myself through a Ruby bootcamp. Here’s are the steps of my training:
- Install Ruby and Rails on Mac OS X Snow Leopard
- Ruby Primer introduction to Ruby basics
- Quick Reference
- Ruby on Rails Tutorial comprehensive tutorial that goes through the complete setup from db to web application
While going through the tutorial I found a few issues that I wanted to highlight:
- The use of the start_form_tag has been deprecated, the correct tag to use is form_tag followed by do e.g. <%=start_form_tag :action=> ‘create’ %> becomes <% form_tag :action=> ‘create’ do %>
- The use of the end_form_tag has been deprecated, the correct tag to use is end.
- The error message: syntax error, unexpected kENSURE, expecting $end means that Ruby is trying to ensure that a keyword in this case ‘end’ is being used.
- redirects_to versus redirect_to the former is a class method and the later is an instance method.